Thursday, June 16, 2011

Playaway!

If you don’t know what a Playaway is, it’s not too late! Playaways are a great resource to use within the library and the classroom. It is a single pre-loaded, digital recording of a book that is stored on a device very similar to an iPod. Students may listen to the digital book as they follow along with the text version (although they may simply choose to listen for pleasure and not follow along!) It is a useful resource to use not only with reluctant readers or students with disabilities but may also be used to differentiate reading instruction, meeting the needs of readers who are below, average, or above grade reading levels. Students are excited about this addition to our library! They are picking up on the fact that this is an educational resource that may also be used for entertainment purposes. They also enjoy having this bit of “technology” in their hands and not having it banned like their cell phones, iPods, or other devices. More so, they feel “cool” by wearing the device around his/her neck and be able to have the opportunity to listen to the book in class. Prices range from $30-$60. Check it out! http://blog.playaway.com/just_press_play/playaway-in-the-news/

3 comments:

KC said...

Cindy Schmidt had another great use for them that I would never have thought of - for students who have long bus rides to and from school. I'm curious, though, who has used them, and if they have had problems with them getting damaged or lost.

Julianne said...

My husband uses a lot of these playaways from our local library and really enjoys them! I agree that they have the "cool" factor and also are really simple to use. However, they are so expensive for our little library budgets. As far as getting lost... students would be responsible to pay a replacement fee as they would for another book. I'm wondering how easily they are damaged because that would also influence my decision to get them for the library.

Lisa said...

i checked out your link because I had not heard of this resource. It sounds great! The blog I read was talking about the Hunger Game series (of which I am a fanatic fan) and the pros and cons of "hearing" the book in an adult voice. I can see where this type of technology could grab a reluctant reader and make that reader a fan of a particular book. With a series such as the Hunger Games, a student could hear the first book and want to READ the second, or perhaps read the first book AFTER hearing it the first time. What a great way to grab a student and get him interested even if he doesn't consider himself a reader!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.