As a reading teacher, I thought that this would be a great end-of year-project for my students to 'advertise' their favorite book they have read while in 4th grade. In order to get my students started, I prepared by creating my own teacher account (for FREE) and added my students onto that same account; this gave students their own username and password while giving me power to monitor their projects as well as their comments/messages towards each other. I gave everyone a Glogster Book Report rubric via Rubistar (a website withs ready-made rubrics for teachers), reviewed the project's requirements and then modeled how to appropriately and ethically incorporate certain features into their glog. Our own school librarian was so impressed that we have planned to create a technology club next year and are featuring Glogster as one of the many Web 2.0 projects!
Please note, I have also enclosed a link to an article from School Library Monthly providing a lesson idea using Glogster. If enclosure is not visible please refer to the Greenwood Library page and look for the article entitled Going Beyond the Loch Ness Monster in the April 2010 issue.
6 comments:
The Glogs are like poster projects on steroids!! They really come alive, and they are very interactive. This is just the type of Web 2.0 tool teachers need to be using. It seems to have every type of literacy included. I'm just looking at some Glogs, and I am impressed.
I do have a couple of questions. Is it very easy to use? Are the different elements of the Glog easy to manipulate?
Wow. I went to the website and clicked on an example of 4th grade students using this for their state reports. It made me a little embarassed when I reflected on what I had students doing for the past 4 years! The projects had such a polished look to them; they looked professional!
Not sure how easy it is for kids to pick up (as the "net generation, they probably get it quicker than us) but I've had students do a simple powerpoint on themselves before assigning them a project where they will have to research, add facts, etc. I was thinking the same scaffolding might help here- a Glog poster on themselves to learn the tools, and then a real assignement related to a subject.
Hi Kari!
I love your simile!!! Yes, the Glogs are wonderful and once you play around with the features and "tutor' yourself, it is very easy to model and easy to use. For example, when I modeled how to incorporate certain features, I used the Glog menu (when making a glog, this appears on the left side) as a guide for me and my students. This then makes for simple manipulation for each of the features...I even was surprised when one of my 4th graders had filmed a video of himself via webcam, saved and downloaded it, then uploaded it online to his glog!!! It was so enlightening for me as to how savvy 10 year olds are and simply put: FUN!
Adrienne -I feel as if Glogs are the new PowerPoint! As technology evolves so should our lessons and projects. I would recommend a Glog any day over a powerpoint. Actually, I would recommend teaching using both in separate projects but I feel as if Glogster can really be a great way to use what they learn from making PowerPoints and then "kicking it up a notch". :) Have fun glogging!
I have never heard of Glogging, but I've got to admit, I am extremely intrigued! After checking out some of the presentations provided on the website, the program really blows PowerPoint out of the water. WOW! Very impressed.
Maggie, I liked your response about how as technology is evolving, so should our lessons. Ain't that the truth! It is also important for us to "keep up with the times" while continuing our own education and exploration about what's out there. Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to take a closer look. :)
I was introduced to Glogster last semester when a fellow classmate used it for a project. I played with it a little but didn't take time to learn it. Just looking through the projects that people have done, I was amazed! I definitely want to explore it more.
I too first saw this webtool when it was used by a classmate. She used it for a booktalk, and it was very visually intriguing, if that makes sense. I knew it was a tool that I definitely wanted to learn more about. I'm hoping to explore it more this summer. Great idea about creating a technology club too!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.