Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Flip Video Cams

If you don't already know what a Flip video camera is, it is a small digital video camcorder that uses a USB port to easily transfer images from the camera to your computer. These video cameras are about the size of a cell phone or an MP3 player, and they are very easy to use. A short tutorial is available here to show the various functions of the Flip. Because I teach "digital natives" at the high school level, I am always looking for interesting ways for my students to create and collaborate. Student groups can create videos for just about any curriculum using these cameras. The Flips could also be used by teachers to record class discussions, lectures, or presentations. These recorded resources could be made available to students who are absent or just need reinforcement. I have used these for group projects with great success! Even reluctant readers and speakers are eager to use these nifty gadgets. Flips start at $79.99, so they are an affordable option for most educators.

4 comments:

Miss Marsh said...

I LOVE my Flip Cam! I capture some great moments and projects on there! I recently received an email from Flip that the cameras are no longer being made by the manufacturer and that the software is to be no longer usable in 2013. (I am guessing this is due to all of the cellphones and iPods with a camera already installed, that newer technology has simply made Flip Cams -almost- obsolete). I was heartbroken to read this but am slowly trying to make the transition from Flip to iPod in order to capture everything that happens at school...

Miss Marsh said...

Another note:

This makes prices potentially go down and once videos have been taken,
any saved flip video can be resaved using windows media OR quicktime...that way you still have your videos!

Anonymous said...

http://www.howtogetviews.com/the-end-of-flip-video-cameras/

I just found this link! I didn't know Flips weren't still being made since they are still being sold on the website. That's all we use at RH (since cell phones aren't allowed to be on or within view). I guess the next thing we get will be the Ipod Touches. Geez! No wonder I need this class, I'm so behind the curve!

Emily H. said...

I didn't know the Flip was being discontinued until Dr. Church mentioned it in class last weekend. I just saw them at a wonderful price at Sam's. I just bought my own iPod touch. I need to learn how to use all the features on it! Is there an iPod 101 class? :)

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.