I am still a little apprehensive about the usage of Facebook at the elementary level. I believe that a Blog page or even a Google document that is shared with the students would be a better tool with this age group. My primary concern with young children is the security issue that we face. I am overly protective and somewhat cautious about Facebook and all of its issues. What about each of you? Am I being too protective?
(Article was from May/June 2011 "Facebook for Libraries" by David Lee King.)
3 comments:
At the VEMA conference last fall one of the headlining speakers, whose name I can't remember right now, is an elementary librarian, and he has a Facebook page for his library. He said that at the elementary level to market it toward the parents. He was very direct in saying that he did not try to get the students to "friend" the library, but instead have it be an informational tool for parents.
I agree with Sara--I can see Facebook as a tool for parents with elementary age students
I have a facebook page for my classes (I teach Spanish High School level). It works very well for this age level! I could communicate with all but three of my students this past semester on a very regular basis. It's a great communication tool, and the students can get in touch with you quickly when they need to.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.