Sunday, June 19, 2011

Library Teen Advisory Board in a High School Library

Since the world has changed, keeps changing and our teens are more “worldly”, have more information at their fingertips and more information to learn, they grow up a little faster. However, education has not changed as much. We still expect students to be the passive learners while we adults hand out the knowledge. The same knowledge that they can find in seconds on their phones which are in their pockets!!! There is a definite disconnect in our classrooms with the outside world. To get my students more connected and involved I want them to take ownership of their library. I don't want them to be passive and accept what I give them. What good is it to have the latest books, the technology, and the databases when no one comes in? No one knows about them? So I read three books discussing teen library advisory boards and youth library services. The books were: Library Teen Advisory Groups by Diane P. Tuccillo; Teen-Centered Library Service: putting youth participation into practice by Diane P. Tuccillo; and Young Adults Deserve the Best: YALSA’s Competencies in Action by Sarah Flowers. I made a proposal to the principal which she approved. Next fall I will begin a teen advisory board which will be STUDENT centered. It will be theirs to create, manage, grow, and own. I will be the advisor, the referee as needed, the timekeeper, the reminder, the nudger, and the voice of reason. And the last say in some of the activities. I believe that if they get involved and believe that they have a voice, the library will become stronger. It will become theirs. It will teach them citizenship, responsibility, collaboration skills, and everyday, real life skills. It will foster a love of reading and libraries and life long learning. They will meet new friends, gain self-confidence and become part of a new group. Also I will get to know the students better and have more insight into their interests, hobbies, beliefs, and lives. Who knows? I might even talk one of them into becoming a librarian!! I realize this will be a lot of work with a good dose of frustration. However, I believe my students deserve my best and all the help they can get. The work and frustration will be well worth it when I see those smiles and pride shining on their faces. Watching them grow and expand themselves beyond their comfort level will be a wonderful thing to watch and to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.